Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Spring Break and...School?

It's not a good sign when you have to ask yourself, "Okay. What did I do this month?" Unfortunately, my lack of vivid mental images from the month stem from stupidity and not an abundance of nights on the town. And, after a moment of recollection, some important things did happen in April.

I went down to Los Angeles and visited family during Spring break. It had been a while since I had seen my uncle Paul and the gang, so that was great. The highlight was seeing my cousin Jenny ride an orca during a show at Sea World--undoubtedly the coolest job in the world.

My gramma and my cousin Sam also flew down, making this a relatively large family event for us. My gramma has always been independent and bright; she earned a degree in chemistry in an era where serious analytic thinking was regarded as men's territory. Now in her eighties, she is still sharp. Sam and I have always been close friends and we spent our time at the driving range and shooting range goofin' around with uncle Paul.

In addition to the family-time, I made some headway this month on the academics front. I got accepted to the Master's of History program at the University of New Orleans. The school is small, local and seems like the perfect fit. As I did research on the school I learned that the current professors are pretty legit and that there is an excellent pedigree at the school: American History icon Stephen Ambrose taught here. So, needless to say, I am pretty stoked. It has been a few years since the ol' UW and I'm feeling ready to hit the books again. Go Privateers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention who the better and shooter were.

Unknown said...

What I meant to say was, You forgot to mention who the better shooter was and the better golfer, since everything is about competition.